Sunday, February 5, 2012

Help!



I hate asking for help.  Even at work, I'll use my "flip the 90 pound wheel of parm up the stepladder onto the counter" trick instead of asking one of the big burly meat guys to help me.  That's just the way I am.  I think most of us are like that.  In our culture, asking for help is a sign of weakness, and nobody wants to seem weak.

Asking for money is even more awkward.  Money that I won't even pay back.  It's probably one of the most uncomfortable things I've done.  But then I think back to when I was diagnosed, and everyone said to me, "Let me know if there is anything I can do for you."

So I'm letting you know that there is something you can do for me.  You can make a donation.  Tell yourself it's a gift.  A get well wish.  An early 40th birthday present (knock on wood).  A small token of how much you miss me.  And on the plus side, you should know that each donation makes me cry.  So if you ever wanted to make me cry, there's your incentive.

No comments: