Saturday, April 30, 2011

CT scan

Had my CT scan this morning. I had to drink some Barium, which wasn't quite as gross as I thought it would be. Actually, it was totally gross, but I didn't throw it up so I think that's why it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Man, you really have to drink a LOT of that stuff.


Anyhow it was early, and I had a few flushes while drinking it, but nothing out of the ordinary. Toward the end, I got up to go to the ladies room before the actual CT scan. When I went to the ladies room and looked in the mirror, I saw quite a sight!

I was flushed, but in a weirder way than usual. My face was splotchy, with bumps like measles under my eyes. The area around my eyes was very red too, more so than in a usual flush. I didn't think it was a reaction per se from the barium. More like a flush with a barium tinge. When I opened the door, the nurse was standing there waiting for me, and I gave her quite a fright too. I told her that I had carcinoid syndrome, and that although this was a weirder flush than usual, that I would be fine. She asked if I was having trouble breathing or anything like that, but I told her no. I told her we could still do the scan, but we should probably skip the IV injection part of the scan. She agreed.

I went to to change into the hospital gown, and by the time I saw her again (about 3 minutes later) the weird flush was gone. She was amazed.

Did the CT scan, went home and took a nap, and that's all.

Kristin: educating the world about carcinoid one awkward flush at a time.

No comments: