Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Quick update.....

I’ve been a really bad member of the carcinoid community. It’s not that I’m in denial about my condition; it’s just that when my tumors act all stable, I figure I might as well not talk about them. I imagine there will be a day in my future when carcinoid rules the roost again, and I’ll give him all the attention he needs, but for now I’ve relegated my disease to the back burner.

A month ago I went to a carcinoid conference for the first time since 2011, and I realized just how much I have been neglecting my disease. Someone asked where my primary was, and although I know where it was, the terminology to explain it had escaped me. “Ileum, I think?” was my response. That’s pretty bad. I used to be able to rattle off my entire diagnosis and treatment in a single (long) breath.


Being around other carcinoid patients is a great thing for me. I realize I need to get out into our growing community more. I will be attending the New Jersey Carcinoid Cancer Network conference this weekend. Looking forward to seeing some other zebras and seeing what they've been up to.

No comments: