Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Swiss vacation?

A Swiss vacation?

Did I just take a vacation to Switzerland? Yes I did. Was there radiation involved? Not that I am aware of.

Rod has had a longtime dream of visiting Zermatt and the Matterhorn. He was there with his family when he was about 3, and his Dad climbed the Matterhorn, and I think he wanted to relive that experience. I tried to encourage him to go to Zermatt last year when we were in Basel, but now I understand why he didn't want to zip down there and zip back. 

First of all, Zermatt is a gorgeous area, and trying to experience it in just one day wold really be a shame. In addition, Rod is a photographer, and if you've ever been anywhere scenic with him and his camera, well...let's just say that you know he needs some time to take 4000 pictures. (Although he did a pretty good job of taking a zillion pictures in our 9 hours in Zurich.)

The highlight of Rod's trip was two parts: first, climbing to the Hornli hutte, the base camp for a lot of folks climbing the Matterhorn. Secondly, Rod has a picture of his family *somewhere* in Zermatt in 1975. We spent our last night hunting down the spot, thanks to a tip from Andreas at The Bubble (an amazing pub where we ate at lot because they had burgers and nachos. Look, just because I'm an international traveler doesn't make me any less American).

We were able to track down the general location: right near the back of the Gornegrat train station. Zermatt has changed a LOT since 1975, but the 7 garage bays on the back of the station were pretty unchanged, and we were able to approximately recreate Rod's photo. It was pretty cute.
This picture would make more sense if I had the 1975 picture as well.  Hint hint Rod.

I'll try and post some pictures from the trip over the next few days. If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you've already seen a lot, so I'll try to post new stuff here.


No comments: